Not sweet... In a good way





Ugh, I couldn't stand the thought of everyone staring that those terrible brownie pictures.  Don't get me wrong, the recipe is a serious winner but the photo couldn't be any worse.  If you think that's bad, imagine all of rejected photos.  So embarrassing.  Anyways... life goes on.  Kinda.  See, I'm still posting recipes from my housewarming party two weekends ago!  That tells me that I really need to increase the frequency of my posts and that I need to take more pictures during the week.      The reason I don't typically take photos during the week is because I rarely get food on the table before 8pm... the sun is setting and any chances of catching natural light are gone.  Bummer.  So usually I end up re-making recipes on the weekends just so I can get a good picture in the early morning light.  I need to start experimenting with light boxes or get a better external flash... something!!  Maybe I'll make a visit to the photo shop this weekend.  :)  Does anyone know how to get great natural looking light indoors?

Anyways one thing at a time, we're here today to talk about smashed potatoes.   Not just any mashed potatoes, but SMASHED potatoes... I think they are named so because they are a smashing success with everyone!  I will warn you, when it comes to prep time... cook extra bacon if you happen to have 3 grown men in the house.  Somehow bacon always goes missing around here...


Smashed Potatoes

5 Large Red Potatoes
1 Stick Butter, Softened and Sliced
5 Slices Cooked Crumbled Bacon (preferably thick cut, fried crispy, and fresh)
2 Green Onion Stalks, Sliced into Small Rounds
1/2 C Sour Cream
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Bake potatoes in a 400 degree oven for about 45 minutes.  Don't forget to poke them with a fork beforehand.  When still hot, add to a large bowl and smash with a potato masher (I used a meat mallot).  Add butter, bacon, green onions, and sour cream.  Mix until combined but still slightly chunky... smashed potatoes have character.  Serve immediately (preferably with 1" thick filet mignons cooked medium rare and asparagus).

0 comments:

Post a Comment